Struggles of a foverer boygirl.




I am not paranormal. I do not remember my life from the first moment I opened my eyes and faced this world. However, I can assure you that ever since I remember me as an individual existence, I was never girly. I do recall a period where I would play with Barbie and other girls stuff but I am sure, I was interested on the anthropological aspect of the whole concept.
I have a really bold memory of two school pictures that my mom dared to frame and put them in a very visible place in the living room: 1st, me looking at the camera wearing dark blue boylike sport clothes and a DIY necklace of a toy hydrocephalous diver and 2nd , me (again) wearing boy boxers with the logo of my favorite Greek football team, Olympiakos since there were no girly underwear football team themed at the time. How could they?

Another intense memory crossing my mind is me being ridiculously upset for not being selected for the boys (!!!) basketball team in primary school. In the end, I played for four minutes, we lost and as if the entire drama is not enough, someone threw the ball on me hitting my head and I passed out. I promised myself to never play football again. I kept my promise.
Favorite movies as a kid: Little ninjas, 3 ninjas, power rangers and a series of national geographic about totem and taboo. Hopeless.

In the meantime, I joined a karate school. I was the only girl when I started. Oh, wait, I forgot to mention to you, lovely people, HOW I joined the karate school. I ditched ballet and swimming school since my feet were very boylike for ballet and as for swimming school? Well, a 6 year old blondie tried to keep me underwater for as long as it takes with the ultimate goal of drowning me , resulting into me kicking her in the head and escaping. Obviously, I was not the best swimmer. Certainly, I was a karate kid!!!

So, karate was my favorite thing in the world. But I had big boobs. I felt like a very cute and charismatic boy trapped in the body of a girl. I was seriously asking my parents for breast reduction surgery.  Now, moving a bit forward to my ‘serious’ years, I can recall me ditching a boy –or wait – breaking up with a boy because I was thinking of my career and I had no time for him. I mean, damn, I’m not even kidding. All my friends had boyfriends and in all the movies girls were having this thing with boys and all I cared about was… karate! And, what career was I talking about?

Every boygirl that respects herself is dressing like an athlete training hard for the winter Olympics, avoids makeup and never –ever- for any damn reason leaves her hair down. At a certain point, I was introduced to makeup which I formally abused. This purple eyeshadow with zero mascara- oh dear lord! Quel desastre!! I was wearing TONES of eye liner for the simple reason that I tried to apply eye pencil and had a red eye for one and a half weeks!

I would cut my own hair and make my own clothes (well, tbh I was cutting some of the clothes my mom would buy me and I would try to make it look like it never happened and then I would think I am Coco Chanel). When I actually found a balance between looking like a stray cat and being girly-like, it sort of worked. However, here are some basic things a boygirl will never stop doing and she is actually proud of:

1.       She will never feel comfortable in a dress or a skirt. She will indeed wear it but believe me, she will count the hours, minutes, seconds to throw the hell out of it.
2.       She will always experiment with her looks – meaning: purple hair;don’t care, handmade jewelry that you can hardly tell what it is, cutting her own hair, shopping from the men’s’ department when she doesn’t find something ‘cool’ enough at the women’s, go makeup free when not feeling it and indeed avoiding high hills whenever/wherever possible.  
3.       She will slap your butt while watching you cooking. Oh yeah! She will. If she hasn’t done so yet, wait for it! She is just not comfortable enough yet.
4.       She will never have the ‘after hair salon perfect’ hair. An original boygirl touches her hair A LOT. And her face. And bye bye makeup.
5.       A boygirl eats. Ok, just to be clear. I am not claiming that the girlies out there don’t eat. But a boygirl can eat in front of anyone! Anywhere! No shame. We are not afraid to break the girl rules of not eating in front of men or the guy you like because he will think you are a pig. Well, between food and you? Boy, bye!
6.       She will always pick the action-mind blowing movies. Notebook? Ok, good stuff. But, comon’ , gets boring and this protagonist is a looser! The chick needed some playing. We all know that, right? We all agree, don’t we?
7.       We sleep wearing lame t-shirts. No sexy lingerie around here. The sexiest it can get is simple black colored. The cockiest? Old school faded Chicago bulls – and I mean the originals.
8.       Romance is translated into awkwardness most of the times. Our cynicism is working against us on that and probably when you do ‘cute’ stuff to us on a date or in public we would appreciate if the ground can open into two and swallow us.
9.       We do make selfies, we are boygirls, not aliens! However, it does take us a significantly less amount of time to take that freaking selfie and we upload selfies that include visible pimples in case the background is significant. Warning: We photobomb. A lot!
10.   Last but not least: A boygirl’s playlist is SCARY! There are songs talking about putting a building on fire, bitches and money. There is hardcore lyrics and beats. We don’t play with this kind of things.

Besides the aforementioned, this type of girls is slightly more interesting than the normal simple easygoing type but equally dangerous. It enchants you: she makes you feel comfortable around her, she feels cool, flexible, open minded and then BAM! Female hormones man! Can’t escape them. Be careful! We are still women….

Comments